We are now hiring a Field Lead
Why We’re Hiring
We are hiring for a Field Lead, a farmer who can help out in all aspects of the farm with a focus on what’s going on in the field, whether harvesting, irrigating, or weeding. Basically a second set of eyes who works closely with the farm managers to meet the farm’s goals. This position is a good stepping stone for the right candidate into a future co-manager role.
Cropthorne Farm is a 24 acre, certified organic market vegetable farm located on Westham Island near Ladner, BC. We sell our produce year round at 3 weekly farmers markets in Vancouver, at our farmstand, through our 3 seasonal CSA programs serving 300+ members and to top Vancouver restaurants. We focus on annual field crops and, in addition, have 4 greenhouses for summer crops as well as winter growing. We are passionate farmers who love what we do and are excited to share our knowledge with others as well as creating a strong sense of community both within our farm team and beyond into the greater community.
You have some previous supervisory and vegetable farming experience and, more importantly, you have a passion for agriculture. You can lead by example; you can hustle; you are passionate about growing food; you thrive in a process orientated, fast paced environment and shared values. You like to work hard and get the job done, but you also recognize the need for balance in your life. You are a progressive leader willing to learn and take on new challenges and ideas. You are tuned into the small stuff: quality, detail and efficiency. You enjoy being part of a team and can communicate easily and effectively with team members.
- Provides daily feedback to Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager on the field and harvest aspect of the farm operation.
- Assist in the supervision the Farm Crew and leads by example ensuring quality and productivity targets are met.
- Attending farmers market on a weekly basis.
- Is an active part of the field team, involved in planting, weeding, irrigating, harvesting and washing.
View the complete job description HERE
- A minimum of 1 year work experience in a supervisory role and a minimum of 1 year of production based, vegetable farm experience (2+ years preferred)
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Open-minded, inclusive, and respectful.
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Fluent in English; knowledge of Spanish an asset
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long periods of time, lift up to 20Kg.
- Ability to commit to a flexible work schedule with some extended hours and weekend work.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all seasons and in all weather conditions.
- Must have reliable means of transport.
- This is a full-time year-round position, start date is flexible with a preference by December.
- Work schedule – Monday to Friday or Tuesday to Saturday, depending on the season, 40 to 50 hours/week with flexibility to permit weekend work
- Compensation – we offer competitive remuneration commensurate with experience in the range of $19- $22 per hour plus 4% vacation plus access to farm produce and Health and Wellness Benefits after 6 months of continuous employment.
- Please note there is no on-farm housing available.
If this sounds like you, yet don’t have all the experience, don’t hesitate to apply. The hard skills, (tractor driving, integrated pest management, greenhouse management etc) are all teachable, passion and hustle are not.
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by October 23rd 2020
Only applicants that are currently legally able to work in Canada need apply.