We are hiring for the fall!
From the field, to on-farm stand to the farmers market, we’ve got various positions available at Cropthorne this summer and possibly beyond.
We are a forward thinking, inclusive, and respectful team that loves cultivating a great work environment as much as we love cultivating great food!
Full-Time, Year-Round Position starting in September
Why We’re Hiring
We are hiring for our Farm Crew, while summers are busiest, we farm year round and are looking for another person to join our year round crew. The prime responsibility is to work as a part of the Farm Crew in all aspects of crop production: planting, cultivating, harvesting, washing and packing in diverse farm settings such as inside the greenhouse, out in the fields and inside the packhouse. This position could also spend one day a week apart of our farmstand crew, setting up our stall and serving customers at our on farm stand.
Cropthorne Farm is a 24 acre, certified organic market vegetable farm located on Westham Island near Ladner, BC. We sell our produce year round at 3 weekly farmers markets in Vancouver, at our farmstand, through our 3 seasonal CSA programs serving 300+ members and to top Vancouver restaurants. We focus on annual field crops, in addition we have 4 greenhouses for summer crops as well as winter growing. We are passionate farmers who love what we do and are excited to share our knowledge with others as well as creating a strong sense of community both within our farm team and beyond into the greater community.
Ideally you have some previous vegetable farming experience and you have a passion for agriculture. More importantly you can hustle; you thrive in a process orientated, fast paced environment and you share Cropthorne’s values. You enjoy being part of a team and can communicate easily and effectively with the rest of the crew.
- Weeding with tools and hands
- Harvesting, cleaning, bunching and washing vegetables for cold storage
- Tending to and harvesting of greenhouse crops
- Accurately packing orders for farmers markets, CSA, restaurants and wholesale accounts
- Assisting in the general repair and maintenance of buildings and machinery
- Working at the farmstand, ringing customers in, setting up and restocking
- Preferably at least one season of production based, vegetable farm experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Open-minded, inclusive, and respectful.
- Ability to work well in both a team environment and independently.
- Ability to commit to a flexible work schedule with some extended hours and weekend work.
- Strong prioritizing and time management skills.
- Takes initiative and committed to improving processes.
- Attention to detail and quality
- Previous customer service skills an asset
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Spanish an asset.
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long periods of time, lift up to 20K
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Must have reliable means of transport (nearest bus route is 8km)
- This is a full-time, permanent position, start date is flexible with a preference by early September
- Work schedule –Sunday to Thursday or Monday to Friday 40 to 45 hours/week
- Compensation – based on previous farm experience, in the range of $15.20 – $17.00 per hour plus 4% vacation plus access to farm produce and flowers plus health and wellness benefits after 6 months and sick pay
- Please note there is no on-farm housing available.
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Sept 6th, 2021
Only applicants that are currently legally able to work in Canada need apply.
Hiring soon for winter market!
No positions currently available.