Full-Time, Seasonal Position (June-Sept *preferred* or May-Aug)
Why We’re Hiring
We are hiring for our Farm Crew, an entry level farming position to come on board during the busy summer season. The prime responsibility is to work as a part of the Farm Crew in all aspects of crop production: planting, cultivating, harvesting, washing and packing in diverse farm settings such as inside the greenhouse, out in the fields and inside the packhouse. This position would also spend one day a week apart of our farmstand crew, setting up our stall and serving customers at our on farm stand.
Cropthorne Farm is a 24 acre, certified organic market vegetable farm located on Westham Island near Ladner, BC. We sell our produce year round at 3 weekly farmers markets in Vancouver, at our farmstand, through our 3 seasonal CSA programs serving 300+ members and to top Vancouver restaurants. We focus on annual field crops, in addition we have 4 greenhouses for summer crops as well as winter growing. We are passionate farmers who love what we do and are excited to share our knowledge with others as well as creating a strong sense of community both within our farm team and beyond into the greater community.
Ideally you have some previous vegetable farming experience and you have a passion for agriculture. More importantly you can hustle; you thrive in a process orientated, fast paced environment and you share Cropthorne’s values. You enjoy being part of a team and can communicate easily and effectively with the rest of the crew.
- Seeding and transplanting by hand or machine
- Weeding with tools and hands
- Harvesting, cleaning, bunching and preparing vegetables for cold storage
- Assisting in the general repair and maintenance of buildings and machinery
- Tending to and harvesting of greenhouse crops
- Accurately packing orders for farmers markets, CSA, restaurants and wholesale accounts
- Working at the farmstand, ringing customers in, setting up and restocking.
Eligibility Requirements (For Canada Summer Jobs):
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
·Preferably at least one season of production based, vegetable farm experience
·Strong communication and interpersonal skills
·Open-minded, inclusive, and respectful.
·Ability to work well in both a team environment and independently.
·Ability to commit to a flexible work schedule with some extended hours and weekend work.
·Strong prioritizing and time management skills.
·Takes initiative and committed to improving processes.
·Attention to detail and quality
·Previous customer service skills an asset
·Fluent in English, knowledge of Spanish an asset.
·Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long periods of time, lift up to 20Kg.
·Ability to work in all weather conditions
·Must have reliable means of transport (nearest bus route is 8km)
·This is a full-time seasonal position, start date is flexible with a preference by early June ending either late August or late September (although there is a strong possibility for year-round work for the right candidate)
·Work schedule –Sunday to Thursday 40 to 45 hours/week
·Compensation –in the range of $15.20 – $16.75 per hour plus 4% vacation plus access to farm produce and flowers.
·Please note there is no on-farm housing available.
Please email your cover letter and resume including start and end preferences to email@example.com by April 16th