Post Harvest Lead
Check out the full job description HERE
Full-Time, Year Round Position
Why We’re Hiring
We are hiring for a Post-Harvest Lead. It is one of our busiest positions as our post-harvest area is the most dynamic place on the farm. While much time is spent planting, weeding and harvesting, the time we spend in Post-Harvest, cleaning, washing and allocating vegetables is critical in maintaining the high quality, clean vegetable standard our farm is known for.
Cropthorne Farm is a 24 acre, certified organic market vegetable farm located on Westham Island near Ladner, BC. We sell our produce year round at 2 weekly farmers markets in Vancouver, at our farmstand, to top Vancouver restaurants and through our 3 seasonal CSA programs serving 300+ members. We focus on annual field crops, and have 4 greenhouses for summer crops as well as winter growing. We are passionate farmers who love what we do and are excited to share our knowledge with others as well as creating a strong sense of community both within our farm team and beyond into the greater community.
You have some previous supervisory and produce experience and, more importantly, you are enthusiastic about quality produce. You can lead by example; you can hustle; you are passionate about great quality, local food; you thrive in a process orientated, fast paced environment and you share Cropthorne’s values. You have strong organisational skills and have the ability to multitask. You like to work hard and get the job done, but you also recognize the need for balance in your life. You are a progressive leader willing to learn and take on new challenges and ideas. You are tuned into the small stuff: quality, detail and efficiency. You enjoy being part of a team and can communicate easily and effectively with team members.
- Provides daily feedback to Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager on the Post Harvest, CSA & Restaurant Pack aspect of the farm operation.
- Work closely with Assistant Manager, Field Lead and Restaurant Lead to complete daily harvest, wash and pack-out on schedule.
- Leads the Field Crew in Post-Harvest by example, to ensure quality and productivity targets are met.
- Efficiently and properly receive, wash, pack and prepare crops for distribution.
- Ensures that all farm operations are conducted in compliance with crew safety and food safety standards.
- Training, supervising and recordkeeping in the post harvest area.
- A minimum of 1 year work experience in a supervisory role
- A minimum of 1 year of working with produce, either through grocery store or vegetable farm experience (Similar packhouse or inventory management experience may be considered)
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work fast paced and flexible for changing needs
- Proficiency in basic veggie math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)
- Open-minded, inclusive, and respectful.
- Ability to give and take constructive feedback in supervisory role
- Ability to work independently with various levels of supervision
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Fluent in English; knowledge of Spanish an asset
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long periods of time, lift up to 20Kg.
- Ability to commit to a flexible work schedule with some extended hours and weekend work.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all seasons and in all weather conditions.
- Must have reliable means of transport.
For additional information on responsibilities and qualifications please view the full Post-Harvest Lead Job Description on our website.
- This is a full-time year-round position, start date is flexible with a preference by February 2022.
- Work schedule – Monday to Friday or Tuesday to Saturday, 40 to 50 hours/week with flexibility to permit weekend work as needed.
- Compensation – $18 – $22 per hour plus 4% vacation plus access to farm produce.
- Health & Wellness Benefits after 6 months of continuous employment.
- 5 paid sick days
- Please note there is no on-farm housing available.
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by January 7, 2022
Only applicants that are currently legally able to work in Canada need apply.