Are you interested in learning about year-round vegetable growing? Do you love working outside? Join our great crew! Learn more below.
Why We’re Hiring
We are hiring for our Farm Crew, someone to join us from spring until early winter (with the possibility of beyond; to join our year-round permanent crew)
Working as a part of the Farm Crew in all aspects of vegetable production our farm crew gets a detailed on-the job understanding of planting, cultivating, harvesting, washing and packing in diverse farm settings such as inside the greenhouse, out in the fields and inside the packhouse. This position could also spend one day a week apart of our farmstand crew, setting up our stand and serving customers at our on farm stand.
Cropthorne Farm is a 24 acre, certified organic market vegetable farm located on Westham Island near Ladner, BC. We harvest every week of the year and sell our produce at 2 weekly farmers markets in Vancouver, at our farmstand, through our 3 seasonal CSA programs serving 300+ members and to top Vancouver restaurants. Our CSA is based on a sliding scale model which ensures more people can access local, organically grown produce.
We focus on annual field crops, in addition we have 4 greenhouses for summer crops as well as winter growing. We are passionate farmers who love what we do and are excited to share our knowledge with others as well as creating a strong sense of community both within our farm team and beyond into the greater community.
We believe in building healthy soil through cover cropping, crop rotation, reduced compaction and compost. We believe healthy, nutrient rich soils create healthy, nutrient dense food.
Ecology and biodiversity are key. We are proud to dedicate time and space to barn owl boxes, to planting hedgerows and flowering plants for beneficial insects and wildlife, alike.
We believe that our crew health is just as important as crop health and we are proud to be a training ground for future farmers, with many ‘alumni’ having started their own farms.
We are life long learners, always seeking to improve our farming methods through simply walking the fields and observing, to talking to other farmers, to soil testing, to keeping up with the latest research.
With the help of crew, family and the fertile farmland of the Fraser Delta, we are able to produce some of the best Certified Organic produce in our region.
Ideally you have some previous vegetable farming or outdoor work experience and a thirst for agriculture. More importantly you can hustle and thrive in a process orientated environment. You enjoy being part of a team, are a positive team mate and can communicate easily and effectively with the rest of the crew.
This position is great for someone with some farming background yet wants to hone their skills. The hard skills are teachable, passion and hustle are not.
While this position is seasonal, we would love to have the right candidate overwinter and join our permanent full-time crew should they be a good fit. Many people on our field team have moved up into more senior roles such as post-harvest lead or assistant manager.
- Weeding and transplanting with tools and hands
- Harvesting, cleaning, bunching and washing vegetables for cold storage
- Accurately packing orders for farmers markets, CSA, restaurants and wholesale accounts
- Assisting in the general repair and maintenance of buildings and machinery
- Working at the farmstand, ringing customers in, setting up and restocking
- Preferably one season of production based, vegetable farm experience
- Open-minded, inclusive, and respectful.
- Ability to work well in both a team environment and independently.
- Attention to detail and quality
- Previous customer service skills an asset
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long periods of time, lift up to 20Kg.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Must have reliable means of transport (nearest bus route is 8km)
- Must be able to legally work in Canada
- This is a full-time, contract position. Start date; preference by mid May until mid December
- Work schedule –40 to 45 hours/week, ideally Sunday to Thursday
- Compensation – based on experience, in the range of $16.00 – $17.50 per hour plus 4% vacation plus access to farm produce and flowers and five paid sick days.
- Please note there is no on-farm housing available.
Email your cover letter and resume to Lydia at email@example.com by March 31st, 2022
We look forward to hearing from you.
In the meantime, if you have any questions send us an email!