REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND COMMUNICATIONS:
- Reports to the Assistant Farm Manager.
- Communicates with the Farm Manager and Assistant Manager on a daily basis regarding field work needs.
- Provides feedback to Farm Manager and Assistant Manager on farm team and market help performance.
- Is an active member of the Farm Team which meets regularly to ensure effective communication.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Work with Farm Manager and Assistant Manager to ensure farm production and quality goals are met.
- Direct and ensure that all field activities are completed in accordance with the work schedule and to quality standards.
- Work closely with Assistant Manager, Post-Harvest Supervisor and Post-Harvest Leads to complete daily harvest on schedule.
- Is an active part of the field team, assisting with harvest, planting, weeding, post harvest and field related tasks.
- Assisting in organizing weekly harvest plans, ensuring timely flow, scheduling crop harvest times.
- Assist in preparing weekly fresh sheet, knowing what’s coming in and out from harvest
- Assist with tractor work, including everything from field preparation, seeding, transplanting, spraying to cultivating.
- Assist with fertility monitoring and application.
- Assist with IPM program; spraying, scouting for pests and disease both in field and in hoophouses.
- Assist with irrigation, moving pipe or reel, drip installation, and repairs.
- Manage the preventative maintenance of all farm equipment, facilities, and supervision of repair and maintenance work.
- Maintain farm equipment: changing oil, greasing, and making basic repairs to farm equipment and machinery and keep records of.
- Keep inventory of fuel, lubricants and other maintenance items.
Training, Recordkeeping & Supervision
- Provide feedback on field team performance by providing training and feedback to ensure that they have the appropriate skills for the assigned tasks particularly in the field.
- Supervise the Field Team, ensuring that all members of the field team are exhibiting all expected job behaviours, including quality, speed, accuracy, and that they are following all required company policies and procedures.
- Ensure field team members personal safety by promoting individual awareness of hazards and teaching safety skills on the job, as well as identifying new hazards.
- Ensure food safety by promoting individual awareness of food safety hazards and by teaching food safe skills on the job.
- Ensure procedures relating to Organic Certification are carried out.
- Provide supervisory support to other supervisors and managers in other spaces whether post-harvest, markets etc. as needed
- Assist in the training of new team members.
- Facilitate a respectful, communicative and team-oriented work environment.
- Accurately fill out detailed records which include planting, harvesting and food safety.
- Maintain a safe, clean and well-organized environment for staff
- Attend farmers markets as lead or in a support role.
- Contribute to the farm business planning by providing input and expertise on cropping systems, varieties, inputs, equipment and capital improvements.