Field Crew Lead
Full-Time, Year Round Position
Why We’re Hiring
We are hiring for a Field Crew Lead as our current Lead is setting off to travel the world later this fall. We are looking for someone with previous farm experience who is comfortable supervising and actively working with our farm team. The Field Crew Lead’s main responsibilities are the day-to-day management of the harvest and coordinating the farm crew on harvest days. The Field Crew Lead ensures crops are harvested in a timely, productive, and quality-focused manner. We are looking for someone who is as comfortable supervising a farm team of ten on a busy harvest day to helping organise and carry out a multitude of other field tasks, whether cultivation, moving irrigation line or nutrient application. While the focus is on field and harvest tasks, and supervision of staff within that area, an array of other jobs such as post harvest wash and pack, hoophouse prep as well as markets and farmstand tasks can round out the job. There is a strong possibility to grow into a future management role in this position.
Cropthorne Farm is a 24 acre, certified organic market vegetable farm located on Westham Island near Ladner, BC. We harvest every week of the year and sell our produce at 2 weekly farmers markets in Vancouver, at our farmstand, through our 3 seasonal CSA programs serving 250+ members and to top Vancouver restaurants.
- We focus on annual field crops, in addition we have 4 greenhouses for summer crops as well as winter growing. We are passionate farmers who love what we do and are excited to share our knowledge with others as well as creating a strong sense of community both within our farm team and beyond into the greater community.
- We believe in building healthy soil through cover cropping, crop rotation, reduced compaction and compost. Ecology and biodiversity are key. We believe healthy, nutrient rich soils create healthy, nutrient dense food.
- We believe that our crew health is just as important as crop health and we are proud to be a training ground for future farmers, with many ‘alumni’ having started their own farms.
- With the help of crew, family and the fertile farmland of the Fraser Delta, we are able to produce some of the best Certified Organic produce in our region.
You have some previous supervisory and growing experience. You can lead by example; you can hustle; you are passionate about great quality, local food; you thrive in a process orientated, fast paced environment and you share Cropthorne’s values. You have strong organisational skills and have the ability to multitask and switch priorities. You understand people and how to motivate them. You like to work hard and get the job done, but you also recognize the need for balance in life. You know yourself well enough to take action when your wellbeing needs attention. You have solid coping mechanisms and go-to practices to keep a sustainable work life balance. You are a progressive leader willing to learn and take on new challenges and ideas. You are tuned into the small stuff: quality, detail and efficiency. You are warm and approachable. You enjoy being part of a team and can communicate easily and effectively with team members.
- Provides daily feedback to Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager on the field and farm team aspect of the farm operation.
- Work closely with Assistant Manager and Post Harvest Lead to complete the daily task list, whether harvest, field activities, wash or pack-outs on schedule.
- Leads and directs the Farm Crew in the field, post-harvest and hoophouses, ensuring quality and productivity targets are met.
- Ensures that all farm operations are conducted in compliance with farm safety and food safety standards.
- Training, supervising and recordkeeping for field related and training activities.
- A minimum of 1 year work experience in a supervisory role
- A minimum of 2 years of farm experience (tractor skills an asset but not required)
- Knowledge of vegetable agronomics and organic farming practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- High attention to detail and well organized
- Ability to work in highly dynamic situations
- Ability to work fast paced and flexible for changing needs
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities in a calm manner.
- Proficiency in basic veggie math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)
- Open-minded, inclusive, and respectful.
- Ability to give and take constructive feedback in supervisory role
- Ability to work independently with various levels of supervision
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Fluent in English; knowledge of Spanish a strong asset
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long periods of time, lift up to 20Kg.
- Ability to commit to a flexible work schedule with some extended hours and weekend work.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all seasons and in all weather conditions.
For additional information on responsibilities and qualifications please view the full Field Crew Lead Job Description here.
- This is a full-time year-round position, ideal start date of: August 29th, 2023.
- Work schedule – Tuesday to Saturday, 36 to 46 hours/week depending on the season.
- Compensation – Based on experience, in the range of $22 – $24.50 per hour plus 4% vacation plus access to farm produce and flowers.
- Health & Wellness Benefits after 6 months of continuous employment.
- Continuous Education Stipend after 6 months of continuous employment.
- Gear Stipend after 3 months of continuous employment.
- 2 weeks of annual vacation plus one addition unpaid week at the end of December.
- 5 paid sick days plus 3 Personal/Mental Health Days per year
- Please note there is no on-farm housing available.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 11th, 2023
We look forward to hearing from you.
In the meantime, if you have any questions send us an email!